BenV's notes

MPD v0.17

by on Aug.01, 2012, under Software

Yay, a new version of MPD!
For those of you who are stupid and dumb, MPD stands for Music Player Daemon. At home I run it on my server to provide music to my house.
There are many clients for it, including web- and commandline versions.
The fun part is that I stream the output through pulseaudio (but mpd supports multiple outputs that can be enabled/disabled on the fly), so through Pulseaudio the rest of the network can listen to the stream if they like. (the configure flags made me notice RoarAudio today, it seems a lot more suited than Pulseaudio so maybe I’ll check it out soon)
New this version (amongst things) is “httpd: support for streaming to a DLNA client“. I’m curious to see if my PS3 will eat it, since it’s a picky eater 🙂
Also it seems like they’re building a chat feature … at least, that’s what I think when I read “support client-to-client communication” 😉

Oh, if you’re still wondering about MPD, some nice features:

  • * Support for modules (think amiga .MOD, .XM, .S3M, — demoscene music etc) through either MikMod or ModPlug (I use modplug)
  • * Support for pretty much all other music filetypes that exist through various other libraries. For instance .SID files through libsidplay2, or various game music (think Nintendo etc) files through Game Music Emu
  • * Support for playlists (cue files)
  • * It’ll do your homework

Anyhow, when compiling version 0.17 today with the default options that I have enabled I ran into a new linker error that version 0.16.8 didn’t have:

/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-slackware-linux/4.7.1/../../../../x86_64-slackware-linux/bin/ld: /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-slackware-linux/4.7.1/../../../../lib64/libwrap.a(hosts_access.o): undefined
reference to symbol 'yp_get_default_domain@@GLIBC_2.2.5' /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-slackware-linux/4.7.1/../../../../x86_64-slackware-linux/bin/ld: note: 'yp_get_default_domain@@GLIBC_2.2.5' is defined in DSO /lib64/ so try adding it to
the linker command line /lib64/ could not read symbols: Invalid operation
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [src/mpd] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/mpd-0.17'

This is because the configure scripts fails to detect it needs to link against libnsl, so the solution is to add libnsl to your LDFLAGS before running configure:

root@music:/usr/src/mpd-0.17# LDFLAGS=-lnsl ./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-bzip2 --enable-modplug --enable-lastfm --enable-mms --enable-wildmidi --enable-sidplay --enable-audiofile --enable-ffmpeg --enable-mad --enable-lsr --enable-pipe-output --enable-pulse --enable-flac --enable-gme --enable-id3 --enable-fluidsynth --enable-sndfile

Now it works 🙂

:, ,

1 Trackback or Pingback for this entry

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.


  • 2018 (1)
  • 2016 (1)
  • 2015 (7)
  • 2014 (4)
  • 2013 (11)
  • 2012 (27)
  • 2011 (26)
  • 2010 (25)
  • 2009 (68)